REVERSE YOUR THINKING
Everything about mortgages is better when it comes to Reverse Mortgages.
More and more people are contacting us about reverse mortgages to find out how they work and why they are beneficial whether they currently have a mortgage or do not have a mortgage. More and more people are deciding to obtain a reverse mortgage for various reasons.
We talk to a lot of homeowners and their financial advisors, and it is obvious that there continues to be a lot of misinformation and misunderstanding about Reverse mortgages by many people. Often the reluctance to get educated and learn about reverse mortgage is based on information and beliefs that are simply not true. The fact that many people have these perceptions and beliefs is unfortunate because they are missing out on the opportunity to improve the financial stability and protect their housing security for both themselves and their spouses.
Here are a few of the things we hear.
- The bank will own my house. This is not true because ownership is not affected by a reverse mortgage.
- I could lose my house. A homeowner cannot lose a home. Foreclosure is possible but highly unlikely under the current rules for Reverse mortgages (post- 2017). The possibility of foreclosure is much greater with a traditional mortgage than with a reverse mortgage
- I will lose my equity. This is simply not true.
- Reverse mortgages are only for desperate people. This is false. Many of the reverse mortgages we do are for homeowners who don’t have a mortgage, have substantial assets, and often don’t have an immediate need for funds. The reverse mortgage is obtained as an integral part of their long-term financial plan, retirement income plan and estate plan.
- Reverse mortgages are expensive. When looked at in the context of their cost and the benefits provided, reverse mortgages are not expensive. All the benefits are often not effectively communicated in a way that allows people to perform an accurate cost/benefit analysis.
We encourage people to call us and find out why more and more people are utilizing reverse mortgages as part of the financial plan and retirement plan. Get the real answers. We don’t sell, we provide information. If you are interested in finding out more about the benefits give us a call at 303-468-1985